Takes you to the homepage Takes you to photography page Websites Need something fixed? FAQ's, Help and Support

Sunday, January 5, 2014

How it came to be, FRANKENSTIEN

About two months ago my laptop broke and I needed something to use to finalize my assignments. I bought $60 worth of old computer parts from a mate as he just upgraded. So for $60 I got an AMD AM3 socket GIGABYTE branded motherboard containing an Athlon II dual core CPU clocked at 2.9GHz that came with 2x sticks of DDR2 2GB. I also got an ATI Radeon 4000 series graphics card (I don't remember what it was)

I used a power supply, case and old 80GB IDE (PATA) hard drive from the shed, all thickly covered in dust.

I used this to get me by. Games weren't playable on the crappy graphics card and there was no space to install games on the hard drive anyway. I then realised I had a spare 250GB laptop hard drive laying around waiting to be converted into an external hard drive. I put that in, formatted it and used it for all my programs and games. I later had a nVidea GT430 given to me which replaced my old graphics card and I also needed a DVD drive to install Mafia 2 on it so I found one laying around.

Thats how it became Frankenstien. My mates and I joked about how it's so dodgy looking and how shocking it is that it performs well with Windows 8 and all games playable at 720p resolutions...
We were organizing a LAN party and I kept saying everyone will get to meet Frank. It then later came to me that I had 100's of LED's and decided to hook one up... Then another. 



I liked how it looked so the next day I found some green paint in the shed and went mad. Frankenstien was finished. I did a dodgy paint job to add character and it worked!


I was considering making a 4-5 minute long video explaining most of what I explained in this post and show more of the beast. If you think it sounds like a good idea like either my G+ post on it or this Facebook post:
If you have suggestions for the video comment and let me know please.

No comments:

Post a Comment